Sunday, March 23, 2008

I stumbled upon face book and it was delicious and I totally digg it but it got slashdotted

Either I am totally lost on what is happening in the Internet world or I am really totally lost. Gone were the days when Friendster was the king of social network sites. Or was it Adult Friend Finder? Others like Hi5 and Ringo and some others which I am too lazy to find out popped up here and there to spice up the already lost competition. And then we had Multiply which seemed to reign for a while until Facebook came and conquered them all just when MySpace was leading the race. And for the niche community of students, there is Yearbook. And then came along the Blogs and the Wikis and etc. I might have missed out a lot of other stuff. Hey, I'm no tech junkie, you know. Just an informant for the uninitiated who always ask me questions when they can easily get a faster and better answer on Google. Oh, unless you consider me a guru, say in the subject of the female species or sex, then please consult me. My email address is here.

Now unless you're a stranger to the internet world, (you're not alone, I am as strange as you are), you must have realized there are all these social network or social bookmark sites and blog/article submitting directories. The original one I believe that started this is Slashdot. Readers target mostly tech websites links and they post them on Slashdot and the amount of hits they to the site that gets posted is so massive that the sites literally encounter downtime or even crash. This was and is still popularly known as being Slashdotted or the Slashdot Effect. These social bookmark sites are everywhere. A quick Google Search will churn out the results. Hey, I've already given you the search link, go click on the links. Okay back to social bookmarking sites. For starters, the more common ones I can think of are StumbleUpon, Digg, Reddit, Furl and Del.icio.us. Best part is, joining is FREE! Weeeee!

Yes, you read that right. Del.icio.us. So what do these sites do? Well they allow the posters to surf the internet and favourite their sites online, so that they can access it anywhere else in the end, and rate these sites and the more popular the site becomes by bookmarking it, it naturally becomes a hit and more traffic gets to that site. If most of the internet users out there in this world and Mars think that your site sucks, then it is time to go and die. No, of course not. Just ask for people on how to revive your webpage. The online or rather faceless community is pretty friendly and always there to lend a helping hand. All you have to do is put aside your ego and ask. Most of them will be willing to help you at almost or even zero cost.

Disclaimer: Subject to their availability. I am not their guardian, so don't go firing at them cause you took my word for it that you might get free help. There is no free lunch. If you're lucky, you might get lunch or dinner. That's it. Now quit whining. Bitch.

So if your site gets stumbled or digged (congratulations!), assuming you have one kick-ass site/blog unlike mine (insert heh sound here), make sure you have enough bandwidth to keep it online in case it also faces the Slashdot Effect. If you don't know what bandwidth means, it simply means that it your site get crashed and it cannot be accessed, you obviously don't have enough bandwidth. Simplest way to explain things. Then you will become an instant famous and/or infamous person online! Only for a while till the hype dies off. But who cares, your shot at becoming popular online is there, so go get your site crashed! You might even get featured on CNN/BBC! Okay, okay, so it seems that all these stuff are leaning towards Web 2.0, which I will not go through here, go and read at the given link. This is the future of the web, to what I know. I do not have access to the cosmos to know if there will be a Web 4.5 Ver 6 available but if you get any informating from God or his sidekicks, keep me posted. So move aside just friend finding networking sites, enter social networking/booking marking sites! For those who are wishing for the worse to happen to me, no, I will not get slashdotted. Thank you very much.

No comments: