Sunday, September 10, 2006

Positive Negativity

Positive thinking. Yes, the post title is about negativity. I am making an attempt to point out the negative aspects of positive thinking. What is a positive thought anyway? How much does it differ from a negative thought? Aren't all thoughts coming from the same channel or each goes through its own? I know quite a few people who have lived their lives fairly well, exceptionally rather, just focused on pessimism. How they did it is out of the question. Point is, they've showcased that it is possible to live a fruitful live purely based on pessimism. One would ask oneself or another, "Why would anyone want to live a pessimistic life?" To them, I'd say, "Why would anyone want to live an optimistic life?" Such things make me ponder. What is the rationale for someone to choose what kind of life they want to lead? Then again, do we really make that choice or is that choice forced by circumstance? Subjective. Moving on, who concluded that leading an optimistic life would make things better? Advocate optimism to people living in Somalia, Chechnya, Rwanda, Iraq or Afghanistan for that matter and see what churns out. Does one really think that these people live an optimistic life? Perhaps they're happy with their simplicity but living in a war-torn environment isn't really going to boost your self-confidence now, is it?

Okay maybe I'm going way out of the boundary here. Let's stick to where I come from. Why do I need to be positive about everything? What good will come out of it? When I'm really looking forward to something with utmost optimism and it doesn't turn out the way it's supposed to, what happens to me? I feel disappointed, distraught and every other negative thought. Sometimes the negativity overwhelms me and I sort of like being in that world. Occasionally, to my disappointment, I snap out of it. What happens to people who experience failure all the time? Are we going to give them the bullshit that goes like "Hey, it's going to be okay. There is always another time. Don't fret. You will make it for sure next time. We're with you always. Okay?" Pretty much a standard methodology that is often applied but that shit won't work with me. It's not going to be okay. There will never be another time. I will fret and fuck you when you say you will be with me always. So it's not okay. Maybe I'm giving up too early in my life but I made that choice. You or no other shithead has the right to take away my right to lead a pessimistic life. People who come up in life from poverty and feel optimistic about it have my respects. The rest of you who have done nothing extraordinary and yet preach the benefits of leading an optimistic life can just fuck off. You may think that I've not tried. Yeah, I've not. I'm lazy. I don't have the passion to wake up every morning thinking it will be better day because it wouldn't be. Everyone experiences the same day. The day doesn't change. Maybe your mileage varies from mine. Maybe I'm just swimming in a pool of jinx. Fuck, maybe it's just me. Doesn't matter. How many of you have experienced benefits of leading an optimistic life? Does it give you better orgasms? How many of you preaching optimism realistically lead sad lives and pretend that everything is okay when it is not? Welcome aboard. I used to be like you people. Now, being happy is boring. Once in a while, you need to cut yourself and bleed to feel the adrenaline rush. That feeling doesn't happen when you're happy all the time. One needs to get down under to really feel the effect. Now that is what I really call optimism. Perhaps, the reader won't share my sentiments. Doesn't matter. You're not reading to agree or disagree. That is what I do. Your job is just to laugh at me. Laugh at my misery. Laugh at my immaturity. Laugh at my stupidity. Laugh. Maybe that gives you a certain optimism.

Like every post, I tend to digress. That is what happens when you're pessimistic because optimism usually shows you the straightforward, narrow path in life. You're badly tuned to think that everything will be okay and all will be good. You tend to ignore or pretend bad things won't happen to you. You have friends who experienced such things but you hardly or in fact never did. You try to be their pillar of support. They look up to your bullshit. They actually give a shit when you talk real shit. They don't give a fuck when you go on preaching about optimism. They know it doesn't apply to them and they know you don't understand what they're going through. An optimistic person is just there to make you feel happy when all the awful things in life happen. They think of them as somewhat a test and that we all have to go through it so that we can go to heaven in the end. Nice work, Sherlock. As for pessimism, it allows you to look at things from various angles. You're not easily subdued or manipulated. You tend to put in a lot of thought before doing something and when it fucks up, like how it usually does, you're not really affected. Why? Simply because you're immune to such things. It feels so good that you actually welcome it. Somehow now I feel good.

Somewhat. Somewhere.

No comments: